Monday, November 1, 2010

The Life of a Freelancer Takes Faith

This will be a short posting today because I'm feeling a bit puny, as my mother would have said, so I'm sacked out on the sofa watching Fox News and election coverage. I spent the last week working for Abingdon, and this weekend, I finished a children's book about Joseph. I have two other projects waiting in the wings.

Deadlines are deadlines. Delivery of a quality project is essential. If the work takes longer than you anticipate, you still need to come through for the customer. For me, it took rolling out of bed at 5 a.m. on both Saturday and Sunday.

My goal is to manage my time better and take weekends off. It might not be possible. Every freelancer I know works weekends, nights, early mornings, and rarely takes time off. When they have a lull in business, they play and pray for more work.

Tomorrow I'll finish up a short edit and the day after I start on a manuscript-length macro edit. I also have the possibility of writing a work-for-hire fiction book for teens. The pay is good, but I won't receive any royalty, and I have a feeling the deadline will be short. I can see more 5 a.m. start times even if I get the job. It takes faith to walk this road.

But enough about me.

Are you still praying for the CBA book industry? I expect to see movement in this area with all of you praying for owners, executives, editors, authors, marketing and sales people, production people, and book buyers and sellers.

These are tough times for the book business, but I have great faith that prayer makes a difference. We may not know the outcome in our lifetime, but I do believe the God of the universe has made adjustments because of our pleas. May He bless each and every one of you now and forever. Amen.

* * *
This is day #15 in the 30-day Prayer Challenge for the Christian book industry. Please share your prayers and thoughts with us in the comment section below.

9 comments:

  1. You are working so hard, Barbara. I pray for you and Mike daily.

    Hey, how about a children' book about a chihuahua named Riley Scott?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, my prayers continue for you and the book industry. Praying you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling better tonight. I just needed a day off. I bet you know how that is Richard! Thanks for your prayers.

    LOL I'll think about it, Rita. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you. Also want to tell you I am excited for you
    When you step out and can see nothing
    But faith. That's when the Lord comes thru
    And in a big way. Get ready for the blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, there is great freedom in freelance work because of the choices and variety of subjects and projects, BUT because we work from home, we are never far away from our desk. The stress is different than working in the corporate world but it remains relentless. It's true, as you say. You are either working through a feast of work with no rest or starving for the next project to come. Thank God we can lay the burden on Him and know that He does not abandon us. God is the biggest stress reliever of all! To new Blessings in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weekends off? What does that mean? LOL. Still praying. Thanks for shepherding us in the direction of blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is simply crazy. After a full day yesterday, I collapsed into bed. As I stared at the ceiling, I was awestruck at how good God is. He gives each one of us a purpose and He'll help us to complete it. Glad you have work, Barbara! Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara, I hope your health and energy level improve soon. Please don't overdo.

    ReplyDelete